There is no question that conviction for a drug charge can substantially alter your life. In addition to the potential for serious career damage, it can close the door to educational opportunities, harm personal relationships and even deprive you of life and liberty. Choosing the right Pittsburgh criminal defense attorney can be the difference between years in prison and going free.
Drug charges are treated very seriously in Pittsburgh and throughout Pennsylvania.
If you or someone close to you has been charged with a drug crime, it is critical that you partner with the strongest Pittsburgh drug crime lawyer you can find.
An experienced and efficient drug lawyer will carefully scrutinize all the collected evidence and may be able to prove that the police violated the suspect’s constitutional rights to be free of unjustified searches and seizures. The U.S constitution gives any person currently residing on U.S. soil, the right to:
- Get Rid of Illegal Searches & Seizures: In order for the police to enter and search the suspect’s home, they must have a warrant, the suspect’s permission or they may do so if there is an emergency situation. In order to stop your car or interrogate you on the street, they will require an articulable suspicion that you are involved in illegal activities.
- Be Silent: The suspect does not have any obligation to speak with the police at any point of the criminal proceedings.
- Hire a Lawyer: You have every right to hire a lawyer when imposed with such severe charges so that he can represent you at every stage of the legal procedures and the police must immediately stop questioning you upon this request.
- Swift & Fair Public Trial: The Constitution affords you the right to due process of law. This requires that your trial must be conducted according to the right procedures. It also requires that the outcome of your trial cannot have been manipulated or influenced by external factors.
In matters where the police have been respectful towards the suspect’s rights, a successful drug crime attorney in Pittsburgh can defend the case by posing the following reasonable doubts:
- Unaware of Drug Possession: If the lawyer can prove that you were not aware of the fact that the drugs were in your possession, you will get rid of the charges.
- Intention of distribution: If you do not admit to dealing drugs, prosecutors will try to prove your intention of distributing through the circumstantial evidence such as possession of baggies, scales, and cash. However, your proficient legal attorney can argue that these pieces of evidence do not necessarily mean you intended to distribute.
- Substance was drugs: In order to prove that the substance was drugs, the prosecutor will have to present evidence from a crime lab. However, if there are chances of the drug sample being mishandled by the crime lab or the police, this evidence might not be acceptable at the trial.
At Logue Law Group, our Pittsburgh drug crime attorneys use our comprehensive knowledge and tested trial experience to do whatever's possible to defend our clients against misdemeanor and felony drug criminal charges on both the federal and state level, including:
- Drug sales or possession
- Possession with intent to distribute
- Manufacture and cultivation
- Prescription fraud
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
From the moment you get in touch, our Pittsburgh criminal defense attorneys will advise you on how to fully protect your rights and begin undertaking the investigation that your case needs. We will fully prepare the case for trial, and depending on circumstances either aggressively negotiate to help mitigate consequences as best as possible or go to court in pursuit of an outright dismissal.
As with all criminal defense cases, time is of the essence. Get in touch today and protect your rights.
For a free initial consultation with an experienced drug crime lawyer in the Pittsburgh area, contact us online or call 800-343-7904 or 412-389-0805.