Insurance fraud is an act done with an intent in obtaining a fraudulent result from insurance processes. It may take place when a claimant tries obtaining some perks which they are not entitled to or knowingly an insurer denies the due benefit. Some of the common schemes here include workers compensation fraud, asset diversion, fee churning and premium diversion. A Pittsburgh insurance fraud lawyer can assist defendants who have been charged with any of these offenses.Broad categorization
Insurance frauds are of two types, namely hard fraud and soft fraud.
- Hard fraud- a person deliberately tries to fake an accident, arson, theft, injury, accident or other loss for illegally collecting money from an insurance company.
- Soft fraud- Honest people generally tell white lies to an insurance company. Most people think this is harmless fudging yet the truth is soft fraud indeed is a crime which will raise people’s insurance costs.
You may deeply regret collecting insurance payments that you were not allowed. Yet, an insurance company will be relentless to track you and see that you are prosecuted and run the peril of the federal indictment. This is why it is essential to consult an insurance fraud attorney in Pittsburgh promptly.What is a Federal Insurance Fraud?
Though there is no particular statute covering insurance fraud solely, the prosecutors in Pittsburgh will charge you, especially under RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations) Act along with statutes for wire and mail fraud.
In fact, it is illegal in,
- Providing an insurer with intent and knowingly to defraud with misleading and false statements regarding a claim
- Provide an insurer with intent and knowingly to defraud with documents which have a misleading or false information
- Conspire or help with someone else with the intent and knowingly to defraud an insurer with misleading and false claims
The FBI will help in investigating any form of insurance fraud case which includes,
- Asset diversion- to steal the assets of an insurance company when companies are acquired or merged
- Fee churning- when different intermediaries gather commissions utilizing reinsurance agreements
- Premium diversion- to embezzle insurance premiums
- Fraud which includes disaster relief like filing inflated or false insurance claims post a hurricane
Along with being indicted for insurance fraud on federal charges you will also at the same time face civil action via the insurance company.Ways in which a Pittsburgh insurance fraud attorney can help
Once charged with an insurance fraud you will automatically face a determined Pittsburgh prosecutor and inflexible laws. It is here where we at Logue Law Group can help. We have the best criminal lawyers who will help you in determining all your choices and attaining the finest result for your case. Our Pittsburgh criminal lawyer will help in representing those charged with insurance fraud and scams, enforce their rights under the different consumer protection laws as well as fight to recover the losses. Insurance fraud is a serious crime due to the money being at stake. No matter if you or a loved one is accused of such a fraud, consider consulting our criminal lawyer to know more about the defenses, rights and what to expect at the time of handling the legal system.
To get in touch and schedule a free initial consultation to discuss any fraud charges with an experienced insurance fraud lawyer in the Pittsburgh area, contact us online or call 1-844-PITT-DUI or 412-389-0805.