Insurance fraud is an intentional act aimed at obtaining illegitimate benefits from insurance processes. It occurs when a claimant tries to acquire perks they are not entitled to or when an insurer knowingly denies rightful benefits. Common schemes include workers compensation fraud, asset diversion, fee churning, and premium diversion. If you have been charged with any of these offenses, a Washington insurance fraud lawyer can provide valuable assistance. It is crucial to understand the different types of insurance fraud to comprehend the severity of such actions.
- Hard Fraud: This type of fraud involves a deliberate attempt to fabricate accidents, arson, theft, injury, or other losses to unlawfully collect money from an insurance company. It is a serious offense that can lead to federal indictments. Insurance companies actively pursue and prosecute such cases.
- Soft Fraud: Some honest individuals resort to small deceptions when dealing with insurance companies. While they may view these actions as harmless exaggerations, soft fraud is indeed a crime. Moreover, it ultimately raises insurance costs for everyone.
Considering the potential consequences, it is vital to be aware of the legal implications and protect your rights. In such circumstances, timely consultation with a Washington insurance fraud lawyer is essential. They can help you navigate the legal process effectively and provide the necessary guidance. Protecting your interests and understanding the complexities of insurance fraud cases requires expert legal assistance. Reach out to a reputable attorney who specializes in insurance fraud to ensure the best possible outcome.
What is Federal Insurance Fraud?
Federal Insurance Fraud encompasses intentional and deceitful actions aimed at hoodwinking insurance companies for personal gain. While there isn’t a specific statute specifically addressing insurance fraud, prosecutors in Washington can charge individuals under the RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations) Act, as well as statutes related to wire and mail fraud.
Engaging in insurance fraud includes various activities:
- Purposefully providing false or misleading statements to defraud the insurance company regarding a specific claim.
- Presenting falsified or misleading documents to manipulate motor vehicle insurance actions or rates.
- Collaborating or assisting others in defrauding insurance companies through the provision of false or misleading information.
- Submitting false insurance claims utilizing someone else’s insurance identification card.
- Employing individuals to commit fraud against insurers.
For instance, falsely claiming significant losses due to an incident like a fallen tree during a house accident, when no such loss occurred, can result in charges and convictions for insurance fraud.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) investigates various types of insurance fraud, including:
- Asset diversion, which involves stealing assets during acquisitions or mergers of insurance companies.
- Fee churning, where intermediaries collect excessive commissions through reinsurance agreements.
- Premium diversion, which refers to embezzling insurance premiums.
- Fraud related to disaster relief, such as filing inflated or false insurance claims following a hurricane.
Apart from facing federal charges, individuals involved in insurance fraud may also be subject to civil action by the insurance company.
Insurance fraud charges are typically classified as third-degree felonies and can entail substantial fines and lengthy incarceration periods.
Ways in Which a Washington Insurance Fraud Attorney Can Help
The road ahead may seem daunting, with determined federal prosecutors and inflexible laws stacked against you. But fear not, because at Logue Law Group, we have the best Washington PA criminal lawyers ready to advocate for you and help you navigate this complex legal landscape.
Our goal is simple: to ensure that you fully understand all your options and achieve the best possible outcome for your case. With our experienced Washington PA DUI attorney by your side, you can rely on us to provide comprehensive representation for insurance fraud and scams. We will fight vigorously to uphold your rights under the various consumer protection laws and aggressively pursue recovery of any losses you may have suffered.
We understand the gravity of insurance fraud, considering the substantial financial implications it entails. Whether you or a loved one is facing such charges, our dedicated Washington PA criminal lawyer is here to guide you through the entire legal process. From explaining your defenses to exercising your rights, we will be with you every step of the way, providing unwavering support and expertise.
Take the first step towards resolving your insurance fraud case by taking advantage of our complimentary initial consultation. Discover how our experienced insurance fraud lawyer in Washington can make a real difference in your case. Contact us online or call 844.PITT.DUI today. Let us fight for your rights and protect your future.
Free ConsultationYou will never find us short of knowledge & commitment
while handling your case.