If you have been stopped by the cops and accused of driving under the influence, your mind is likely racing, and full of fear and questions. Here are five things you should do immediately after getting a DUI. Following these steps will help you be prepared to fight your case.
- Write Everything DownDetails are what win and lose DUI cases. Write all the details of your DUI stop, regardless of how important they seem. Do this right away. Memories fade over time, and you want to get it all down while it’s fresh, so that you can say with certainty that this is what happened. These are important details that could help you win your case. Try to answer these questions:
- Where were you when you were stopped?
- When were you stopped?
- What did you tell the cop about what you had been eating or drinking?
- What was the cop’s reason for stopping you?
- What kind of tests did they do? Walk and turn? Eye tracking? One leg stand?
- Did they do a breath test? If they did, describe the device.Don’t share these details with anyone other than your attorney, so that they can’t be used against you later.
- Set your social media profiles to privateProsecutors regularly look defendants up on social media. They’re looking for incriminating photos or comments that you made. Remember that anything you post online can and will be used against you. Taken out of context, as they inevitably will be if the prosecutor gets his hands on them, these photos and comments can ruin your reputation and turn the jury against you, regardless of your guilt or innocence. Don’t let them have the ammunition to get you convicted. We can’t advise you to take anything down, but we can tell you to mark your profile as private. Also, keeping quiet about it online is the best policy.
- Witnesses? Find them.Talk to your family and friends, and even your acquaintances. Especially if they saw you right before, during, or right after your DUI stop. See if they’ll be willing to testify for you in court. Witnesses can be incredibly helpful in shoring up your defense, so you should gather as many as you possibly can. Your Pittsburgh DUI Attorney will want to get their statements. Just like you will forget the details, so will they. A reliable alibi witness can mean the difference between getting a not guilty verdict or being convicted.
- Hire the best Pittsburgh DUI attorney you can find.Finding the right attorney is the most important decision you can make when faced with DUI charges. Look at the experience and training the lawyer has. DUI cases involve a great deal of science and scientific procedures. Does your lawyer have training in that science? Is he a trial lawyer or a plea attorney?Take your time in choosing the right attorney. Meet with a few and then make your decision, and be sure to ask them about their credentials before you decide.
- Don’t obsess over your caseFacing DUI charges is one of the most stressful things you’ll ever do. It’s natural to allow it to fill your mind. However, you should avoid that. Instead, allow your Pittsburgh DUI attorney to handle the details. Keep in communication with him; good communication is key to winning your case. An experienced attorney will do the fighting for you, so you can relax and live your life as you always do.
If you or a loved one have been charged with a DUI in or around the city of Pittsburgh, you will need an experienced criminal defense attorney. The Logue Criminal Defense team serves Pittsburgh, PA, and the surrounding areas, including West Virginia and Ohio. To get in touch and schedule a free initial consultation with an experienced Pittsburgh Criminal Defense lawyer from Logue Law Group, call us today at (412) 612-2210 or (412) 612-2210. Or, you can contact us online.
Don’t wait to call! The longer you wait to hire an attorney, the more difficult it becomes for him or her to get a good outcome for you and your case. Call today!
Free ConsultationYou will never find us short of knowledge & commitment
while handling your case.